Munich, 9. May 2019
– Exactly six months before the christening of MSC Grandiosa on 9th November in the Port of Hamburg, MSC Cruises, the world’s largest privately-owned cruise line and market leader in Europe, South America, South Africa and the Gulf, today announced that TV star Michelle Hunziker will host of the glamorous events as the Company’s newest flagship will be officially named.
Hunziker, internationally known as a TV presenter, actress and singer, also hosted the christening of MSC Seaview in Genoa in 2018. Michelle Hunziker was born in Switzerland, grew up in Italy and speaks five languages. She embodies internationality with a Mediterranean soul, joie de vivre and a sense of family, just like MSC Cruises does.
Michelle Hunziker commented, "I am delighted to be part of the christening ceremony of MSC Grandiosa in Hamburg. Since the christening of MSC Seaview last year, I feel a part of the MSC family. I am particularly pleased that the christening is taking place in Germany. I have met great people here and celebrated many professional successes. For me, Germany means a piece of home and Hamburg has such a wonderful maritime heritage, it will be an honour to become a part of it. I am also looking forward to discovering everything that this new and stunning ship has to offer.”
MSC Grandiosa is the third ship of the innovative Meraviglia generation and the first of the Meraviglia-Plus class. She will become the fifth new next-generation ship MSC Cruises has launched in just two and a half years as part of MSC Cruises' investment plan of €13.6 billion spanning more than 10 years. MSC Grandiosa will be followed by a further 12 ships through to 2027 with her sister ship, MSC Virtuosa launching next October 2020.
Meraviglia generation ships have been designed to meet every need of today’s cruise Guest. The extraordinary design, wide array of facilities and entertainment make these ships ideal for the whole family. Designed for all seasons, they are able to call at most of the world’s international cruise ports.
MSC Grandiosa will become the largest ship in the MSC Cruises fleet and the Meraviglia-Plus class of ships are further enriched, with more cabins, more public space and some new features. Some of the highlights include:
- The iconic Mediterranean Promenade will be the heart of the ship. Under the 98.5-metre-long LED sky, guests can enjoy a varied entertainment programme as well as being able to shop, eat and drink.
- MSC Grandiosa takes the onboard shopping experience to a new level and the indoor promenade is at the centre of that experience. Here, in the shopping mall-style boutiques, guests will find their favourite brands of clothing, jewellery, technology and more, all at unbeatable prices.
- The speciality restaurants are also located here, including the new restaurant concept L'Atelier Bistrot, a French-inspired bar with lounge area, which also offers a stage and dance floor as well as a seated terrace.
- The entertainment highlights will be two brand new shows from Cirque du Soleil at Sea. The shows are created by world-leader in live entertainment, Cirque du Soleil as part of a unique long-term with MSC Cruises.
- MSC Grandiosa will feature the world’s first virtual personal cruise assistant, ZOE. This artificial intelligence guest service will answer guest questions in the comfort of their cabin and a ground-breaking feature of connected cruise experience, MSC for Me.
- Designed as a ship for all seasons, MSC Grandiosa will spend winter in the Mediterannean. This is a wonderful time of year to discover some of the the most beautiful destinations in this popular region such as Barcelona, Palermo, Marseille or Valletta in Malta. There are less visitors at this time of year and the climate in Italy, France and Spain is perfect for exploring and discovering everything that these incredible ports have to offer.
To find out more booking information www.msccruises.com
For further media information on MSC Cruises visit www.mscpressarea.com