BOOK AND CRUISE WITH CONFIDENCE
Putting the safety of our guests and crew first with MSC's leading protocol
THIS WINTER AND SUMMER 2022
The below measures are applicable to sailings in the upcoming months and through Summer 2022.
ALL GUESTS AND CREW
VACCINATED AND TESTED
PEACE OF MIND
AND AFTER THE CRUISE
A FULL EXPERIENCE TO MAKE
YOUR CRUISE SAFE & ENJOYABLE
travel requirements by destination
How we protect your health & safety
before, during and after your cruise
Prepaid onboard packages available to be booked prior to the cruise to help guests to avoid queues, secure space and save money compared to onboard prices
the ONBOARD EXPERIENCEWe are committed to preserving the uniqueness of the onboard experience whilst ensuring that your health and safety are protected. You will continue to enjoy unique experiences including award-winning shows, world-class dining, excursions, family activities, boutique shopping, beauty and fitness services, engaging events and much more. Onboard services are subject to changes based on local regulations or other restrictions, in the context of the COVID-19 situation
We prepared a list of Frequent Asked Quesions (FAQ) to quickly get answers to you for the most common questions
- Are there any travel restrictions under the new protocol, such as current health status, past medical history or age
- Are there any travel restrictions for certain nationalities or countries of residence that may prevent guests from being allowed on sailings in the upcoming months?
• Undergo a molecular or antigen test within 48 hours prior to the ship’s departure (not required for passengers under 2 years old)
• Be fully vaccinated* (i.e full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, vaccines accepted: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson)
• Have recovered from COVID-19 within the last 6 months
*includes those that recovered from Covid and received only one shot of vaccine, if their green/health pass is complete (or if they have all the relevant medical certificates)
NEW PROTOCOL FOR GUESTS EMBARKING/DISEMBARKING IN LA VALLETTA (MALTA)
For Guests embarking (starting their cruise) from Valletta (Malta) the following travel requirements apply:
• All guests (over 12 years old) must be fully vaccinated (i.e full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, vaccines accepted: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson)
• Children (5 – 11 years old) must undergo a negative molecular RT-PCR test (antigen test is not accepted) within 72 hours before reaching Malta.
• Children (0 – 4 years old) do not need any kind of certificate
For Guests disembarking (end of the cruise) in Valletta (Malta) the following travel requirements apply:
• All guests (over 12 years old) that are fully vaccinated (i.e full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, vaccines accepted: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson) do not need to present any other certificate
• All guests that are not fully vaccinated can transit to Malta less than 12 hours but they would need to present a negative RT-PCR test done within 72 hours and evidence of flight ticket to leave Malta. The molecular test required to disembark can be done on board and is on payment according to the current pricelist
• All guests that are not fully vaccinated who intend to stay in Malta for more than 12 hours would need to quarantine.
A COVID-19 test or Passenger locator form (PLF) may still be necessary for national or international mobility requirement: it’s every guest’s responsibility to verify this requirement before departure. In addition, a Passenger Locator Form needs as well to be filled in before entering in Italy (more information here). To enter in Spain, passengers will also need to fill a Health Control Form before entering in the country (more information here).
As per our stringent MSC Health & Safety protocol, all guests both vaccinated and unvaccinated, will need to undergo some Health and COVID 19 screenings including a COVID-19 test, a health questionnaire and a contactless temperature check, at the terminal before boarding.
- What is the MSC Covid-19 Protection Plan?
As during a cruise, you may be exposed to specific COVID-19 risks that may not be usually covered by existing insurance policies, to ensure your peace of mind is mandatory for all guests to have in place an insurance policy that specifically covers them against COVID-19 related risks, such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and related expenses, as well as hospitalization. This should be in place to cover you from the confirmation of your booking until the end of the cruise or your cruise and flight package.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic that the world is still facing, MSC offers a COVID Protection Plan- an insurance policy specifically for these COVID-19 risks and this can be added to the cruise whilst making the booking. The Covid Protection Plan will be extended to the whole Summer 22 season. Guests will be required to provide evidence of their insurance policy and this should include the details of the insurer, the insured amounts and full details of the COVID-19 coverage such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalization.
Effective immediately, before finalizing the reservation, it will be possible to add to the cruise the MSC COVID-19 Protection plan at the price of 25 euros per person for short haul destination (Mediterranean and Northern Europe cruises), and €29 for Long Haul destination (Caribbean & Antille, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Qatar, Saudi Arabia & Red Sea, South America and Positioning cruises).
Alternatively, you may purchase another insurance coverage of your choice provided that the above risks are covered.
The proof of the insurance policy (e.g. certificate, schedule, policy summary) which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish - clearly showing the COVID-19 coverage - must be presented at embarkation. Passengers failing to provide this documentation will be denied boarding.
For any additional information please refer to our Contact Center or consult your Travel Agent.
EMBARKATION / DISEMBARKATION
- Do guests need to provide any medical documents to show that they are COVID-19 negative at embarkation/disembarkation?
For sailings in the upcoming months, please make sure to review the Health & Safety measures and travel requirements for each destination described on this page.
- Is it possible to get tested during the cruise to comply with regulations from my travel back home?
For all sailings in the upcoming months, to ensure the highest standards of health and safety and allow a safe return home to our Guests in compliance with national regulations, MSC Cruises has organized the possibility for its guests to purchase and perform a RT-PCR test or an antigen test during their cruise.
The RT-PCR test will be charged 80 euros. The tests will be organized to comply with the 48h or 72h test validity to return to your country according to your national regulations. The antigenic test is always available for 25 euros. These tests do not substitute the complimentary covid tests performed on board to comply with our comprehensive health and safety protocol.
- What will happen if embarkation is denied to a guest for health reasons?
If a guest is then not considered fit to travel, they will be assisted in their next steps of a return home or will be potentially being treated in a local medical facility to ensure maximum support and care. All guests will be fully protected by the required Covid-19 Protection insurance.
- What safety protocols will be implemented on transfers and shuttles?
We are extending our enhanced health and hygiene measures to all MSC transfers, including:
- Cleaning and sanitisation of all vehicles before any new group of guests
- Availability of hand sanitisation stations and disinfectant mats for footwear
- Appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) for all drivers
- Reduced number of guests with selected seats empty to ensure social distancing
- How are you cleaning and sanitising the guest cabins?
Every cabin will be deep cleaned at the end of each cruise before the next guests arrive for their holiday.
- How often are you sanitising public areas?
- What measures are you taking for the disembarkation process at the end of a cruise?
- How will the check-in take place?
Before the cruise, MSC Cruises invites all guests to download for free the MSC for Me app to start booking additional services, to secure space and to ensure a seamless onboard experience.
ONBOARD MEDICAL SERVICES
- What happens if there is a suspected case of COVID-19 on board?
All guests will be fully protected by the required Covid-19 Protection insurance.
- Have you agreed with specific ports that they will welcome your ships that have positive cases on board for medical assistance ashore?
- Do you have certified COVID-19 tests on board your ships?
- How the health of anyone on board is monitored?
- Will social distancing rules be applied onboard?
DINE & DRINK
- How will the Main Dining experience change?
Face masks do not need to be worn by our guests when seated in the restaurants, but only when entering the venue.
- Will the self-service at buffet be available?
- Will there be any changes to the bars and lounges?
- How I can prebook my drinks or restaurants onboard?
- How I can get the restaurants and drinks menu at bars and restaurants?
ENTERTAINMENT & SERVICES
- Will guests still be able to enjoy the theatre shows and other activities?
- We are reducing the capacity of the theatre to allow for empty seats between guests
- The entertainment programme will be extended so that all guests can enjoy our award-winning shows
- Shows and activities will be pre-booked to manage the number of participants
- Guests will be required to wear a face mask when in the theatre
- Will the Kids Club be open and what kind of kids’ activities will be available?
New measures include reduced capacity, a streamlined registration process, contactless temperature check and hand sanitizer provided upon entry. We're adding new exciting activities and family game shows that will be available for booking up to one day in advance. Toys and water will be provided by our staff, while we'll keep out personal belongings as an additional safety measure.
Onboard services are subject to changes based on local regulations or other restrictions, in the context of the COVID-19 situation. Please note MSC Babycare (dedicated to babies and toddlers under 3 years old) won’t be temporarily available onboard our ships.
- Will you still have Spa and Fitness services available to guests?
For their health and comfort, guests will pre-book spa treatments, fitness sessions and thermal area visits by phone.
Fitness machines and equipment, spa areas and treatment rooms will be thoroughly sanitised after each use as well as deep-cleaned and disinfected every night.
All Spa staff have been trained on rigorous health and sanitation measures and will wear appropriate protective equipment.
Book now your Spa Packages!
*Depending on ship-class, the following experiences will be closed until further notice: Steam Rooms, Heat Baths Whirlpools, Ice & Snow Experiences. Saunas, Salt Relax Room, Harmonic Relax Rooms, Experience Showers, Heated Loungers will remain open to our guests.
- Will there be any restrictions to visit some ports?
If you wish to go ashore during your cruise, you can only do so by participating in one of our MSC Shore Excursions to ensure the same high standards of health and safety ashore as on board.
For Summer 2021 cruises In the Mediterranean and Northern Europe, MSC Cruises offers a large variety of shore excursions. Some excursions are available only to Guests holding the EU Digital Covid Certificate/Green pass, while others excursions are open to those not in its possession, guaranteeing in both cases the highest health and safety standards. More information about the tours are available here. Please note that Guests holding the EU Digital COVID Certificate/Green pass, travelling with children over 12 years who do not hold an EU Digital COVID Certificate/Green card will be considered as Guests not holding the EU Digital COVID Certificate/Green pass, for excursions purposes: children will be requested to do the free covid test on board to participate to the excursion (or the booked excursion will need to be changed for another tour not requiring the green pass).
The EU Digital COVID Certificate / Green Pass is a digital certificate with a QR code issued by countries in Europe to show the following:
• The person has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, taken at least 14 days beforehand, using a vaccine recognized by the European Medicines Agency (EMA)
• The person has recovered from COVID-19 within the last six months
• Someone who has a negative result for a molecular or antigen test performed in the last 48 hours
The copy of the EU Digital COVID Certificate / Green Pass (digital or paper format) and a personal ID or passport, must be shown during the tour at all required entry checks. This is a regulation coming from the local authorities and MSC Cruises is not responsible if access is denied at one of the venues on the selected tour.
Every port of call offers also a variety of excursions that do not require the EU Digital COVID Certificate / Green Pass. Guests not in possession of a valid EU Digital COVID Certificate / Green Pass, can change excursion but availability is limited for some tours. Alternatively, Guests can contact the MSC Excursions office on board during the cruise: a free test will be arranged.